May 3 2021
ENable Pillar Working Towards a Barrier Free Workplace
Entuitive is committed to growing and evolving inclusion and diversity firmwide. This year, we’ve created four pillars to help spearhead meaningful change throughout the organization. ENable is one of the four (the others are Multicultural and Indigenous, Gender Balance, and Pride) and seeks to create a barrier free working environment for our people.
What is a Disability?
A disability is a physical, mental, intellectual, cognitive, learning, communication, or sensory impairment – or a functional limitation – whether permanent, temporary, or episodic in nature, or evident or not, that, in interaction with a barrier, hinders a person’s full and active participation in society.
What is a Workplace Barrier?
A barrier can be almost anything that hinders someone with an impairment or disability (like those listed above) from participating fully in the workplace or from doing their work to the best of their own ability.
The barrier could be physical or mental. Architectural, technological, or attitudinal. It could be the result of information or communication not being conveyed in an accessible way. Or, it could be the result of a policy or a practice.
What is a Barrier-Free Workplace Environment?
A barrier free workplace is a place that:
- Somewhere our people feel comfortable to seek accommodation if they need it;
- A place where the essentials of physical ability are accounted for;
- An environment that makes all feel included; and
- It’s a place that’s responsive to people’s changing conditions, be they physical, cognitive, mental, or otherwise.
What is ENable Doing to Reach Barrier Free?
Our vision is future-focused, but our actions are immediate. This year, our primary focus is on education and awareness, as well as stage setting to ensure we have the right physical infrastructure in place to support our people.
- Education, Awareness, and Team Building
- Engaging Our Internal Teams and External Clients in Accessibility Conversations (2021+)
- Internal Communications to Our People (2021+)
- CMAH Mental Health Week Panel (May 2021)
- ENable Fundraising Run (September 2021)
- Infrastructure Audits
- Audit our workplaces, beginning with the Toronto office (March 2021)
- Looking for: auditory, visual, physical, mental, and cognitive barriers
- Policies and Procedures
- Define Entuitive’s Accessibility Policy (Fall 2021)
Where Can I Learn More?
There are lots of great resources. Here are a few you can check out: