June 29 2021
Pride 2021 at Entuitive
We live in a world where one characteristic can signify an abundance of additional hardships for someone. For those of us who are LGBTQIA2S+ (lesbian, gay, bi, trans, queer/questioning, intersex, asexual, two-spirit, or anything other than cisgender and heterosexual), the consequences of being true to ourselves can be severe in many parts of the world, which is why I believe it is important to celebrate when an organization takes concrete steps to create an inclusive atmosphere. These steps go way beyond the bare minimum stipulated by law: I see and recognize the effort put forth by Entuitive in organizing groups that actively and openly support team members in Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
These groups are a part of the Inclusion, Diversity and Belonging Pillars and, as Pride month comes to an end, I want to mention some of the things that have recently been accomplished by the Pride Pillar:
- Hosted a conversation with professionals in the AEC industry from all over the United States and Canada who shared a bit about themselves and their journey as LGBTQIA2S+ individuals in the workplace.
- Created and published high-quality educational material covering specific terms and definitions within the LGBTQIA2S+ universe.
- Scheduled regular meetings to create spaces that serve as extra social networks within the company for queer folks and allies.
- Shared links to additional educational resources covering the history of queer rights in Canada, including Entuitive’s internal collection of studies and educational material.
- Displayed public support of LGBTQIA2S+ people on social media and official channels, allowing team members the opportunity to express their voices and help raise queer visibility.
- Have allowed all employees in the company the opportunity to include their gender pronouns in their email signature.
- Have asked “How can we do better in the future?” on multiple occasions.
To everyone involved in the Pride Pillar, thank you. I see you; I appreciate your time and dedication to the cause. To my fellow LGBTQIA2S+ team members, I am proud of us for persevering and succeeding despite all the extra hardships imposed upon us from an early age.
I am thankful that Entuitive has given LGBTQIA2S+ professionals the chance to work just like everyone else, to do what we love while being supported on multiple fronts within the organization, and to express our personalities without persecution. By creating a space where our voices are heard and our jobs aren’t threatened because of characteristics such as gender identity, sexuality, gender expression, and so on, I see a workplace where all members of the team are empowered to do great work, to contribute to our communities, to consider the environment, to build relationships, to research new technologies, to participate in social events, to celebrate who we are, and so much more.
I would like to emphasize the importance of what Entuitive is doing because, for queer folks, support at work is neither obvious nor guaranteed in the world out there. Safer and more inclusive spaces do not just happen automatically, they need to be created and cultivated by people. Therefore, I am proud to be part of a team that demonstrates solidarity with people of all walks of life across three countries. There is a lot more we a society can still do to make the lives of LGBTQIA2S+ people better, but I like to give credit where credit is due. Here at Entuitive, we belong. Not only in June but all year round!
Expect more stories in the coming months from other members of the Pride Pillar, covering different perspectives and voices at Entuitive.
Cheers, and Happy Pride!